UniCafe napkins are used daily by up to 15 000 diners. That excellent communication tool conveys its users with a personalized text print that it is made from organic waste.
– Napkin is like a business card for us. You can communicate your organization’s values and for example about recycling in a simple way, says UniCafe restaurants’ Development Coordinator Outi Luukkonen.
UniCafe restaurants are part of HYY Group, which is owned by the Student Union of the University of Helsinki. All students of the University of Helsinki that have been admitted to programmes leading to a lower or higher university degree are members of HYY, so every one of them is also a UniCafe owner. Communication is a very natural part of that relationship.
– A text print on a napkin is a concrete way to communicate to the owners what is being done here and what kind of responsible choices we make in the day-to-day life we share together.
Setting brand values
Environment is considered in all UniCafe purchases. UniCafe wishes to minimise all adverse environmental impacts. They aim to choose products that produce as little waste as possible. The napkins they use are not only environmentally friendly but also of high quality and pleasant to use.
– Our lunch diners are currently using 2-ply napkins instead of the previous 3-ply ones. The change hasn’t affected the quality or purpose of use of the product, though. This choice supports our commitment to sustainable development, Luukkonen says.
UniCafe napkins are the perfect combination of aesthetics, practicality, and responsibility. Beautiful and communicative prints steer customers gently towards right decisions. Previously napkins were sometimes accidentally placed in a mixed waste bin.
– Our informative napkins guide the diners in appropriate separation of waste in a nice way. We have also committed to reducing the strain on climate by decreasing the amount of food waste. That’s why we wanted to thank our diners in a napkin for participating in this common cause.
They found a perfect partner from Fiblon that shares UniCafe’s values of responsibility.
– We are sure to keep using personalized prints in the future as well, Luukkonen says, hinting towards the future rise of entomophagy.